Bala Vihar classes for 2014-15 will start on Sunday September 7th, 2014. Existing members Click here to register.
New members can register by clicking here.
Chinmaya Mission was founded in 1953 by His Holiness Swami Chinmayananda. His devotees formed the nucleus of a spiritual renaissance movement that now encompasses a wide range of spiritual, educational, and charitable activities, ennobling the lives of thousands in India and worldwide.
Presently headed by His Holiness Swami Tejomayananda, the Mission has continued mushrooming across the universe and stands today with over 300 centers worldwide.
To provide to individuals from any background, the wisdom of Vedanta and the practical means for spiritual growth and happiness, enabling them to become positive contributors to society.
Chinmaya Mission Boston
On a typical Sunday morning, 1 Union Street, which is right off Rte 495 in Andover is a buzzing bee hive of activity. Over 500 children and adults descend into the campus of Chinmaya Mission Boston, bright eyed and ready for 90 minutes of fun and learning. Children ranging from 4 years to 18 years sit in rapt prayer to mark the beginning of the Bala Vihar classes.
The three storied beautiful Chinmaya Mission building in Andover also houses a Hanuman temple where families participate in religious ceremonies officiated by a learned priest from India. Topped off by a meditation hall on the third floor, the Mission building offers something for everyone's special tastes. Be it a fun environment for learning for children in over 14 classrooms, an interactive spiritual study session for adults, a religious experience for the devoted or a peaceful refuge for the seeker, the building caters to everyone's needs.
The Chinmaya Bala Vihar program offers weekly spiritual Vedanta classes for children in their formidable and molding years (4-18 years). The classes are from Pre-K to 12th grade, start and end with Sanskrit prayers, and include chanting, bhajans, stories of devotion and morals, interactive discussions, and creative games. While this program is conducted worldwide, New England boasts its own fantastic center in Andover, MA.
The 90-minute classes are based on specially designed syllabi, with the aim of accomplishing the BV rationale set by Swami Chinmayananda:
- To inculcate in our children and youth a reverence for our ancient culture, and inspire them to live up to it with correct understanding.
- To create self-confidence so that they are able to serve and act cheerfully.
- To generate personal discipline, dynamic leadership, and true affection in all their contacts.
- To mold their capacity to brilliantly express their individuality.
- To bring out their dormant faculties and detect defects so that they can cultivate and improve their creative abilities.
- To help our children and youth develop a healthy resistance against temptations in the atmosphere in which they grow.
- To provide an atmosphere of growth that is filled with noble ideals, healthy emotions, and physical discipline.
Come and visit us at any of the locations and our volunteers will be happy to discuss the programs with you.